Match Centre

AFC Telford United (H)
15:00 - Saturday 8th December 2018
National League North (The J.Davidson Stadium)
Goals: Josh Hancock [18'] Connor Hampson [75'] Josh Hancock [89']
Goals (Opponent): Daniel Udoh [24']
Attendance: 895
Referee: Benjamin Speedie
Match Sponsor: Friends of Jacqui Forster
1 Tony Thompson
2 Andy White
3 Connor Hampson
4 James Jones
5 Tom Hannigan
6 Jake Moult
7 John Johnston
8 Simon Richman
9 Jordan Hulme
10 Josh Hancock
AFC Telford United
1 Andy Wycherley
2 Ross White
3 Ellis Deeney
4 James McQuilkin
5 Shane Sutton (c)
6 Theo Streete
7 Henry Cowans
8 Jonathan Royle
9 Ryan Barnett
10 Daniel Udoh
11 Darryl Knights
12 Brendon Daniels
13 Dominic Smith
14 Amari Morgan-Smith
15 Andre Brown
16 Yusifu Ceesay
06 Dec 2018 by Andy Phillips

Alty host AFC Telford United at The J.Davidson Stadium on Saturday afternoon (3pm) with the Robins looking to continue their superb run of form in the National League North.

The 2-1 victory at Brackley Town last weekend was the side’s sixth victory in their last seven league games and saw Phil Parkinson’s men rise to fourth in the table, so confidence is high ahead of the visit of the Bucks. New signing Ash Hemmings will be part of the matchday squad where Alty will likely see their first glimpses of the on-loan Fylde winger.

Telford are another side that currently occupy the play-off positions, with Gavin Cowan’s side just below the Robins in fifth, so Saturday’s clash will be a chance for both sides to pick up an important three points in their quest for promotion.

The Bucks went down 2-0 at home to league leaders Bradford Park Avenue at the weekend but had been unbeaten in five games before then.

22-year-old striker Daniel Udoh has been the main man for the side so far, with the striker hitting eight goals this season, so his pace and goal threat is something that the Robins will have to watch out for. 

Last time out:

The last meeting between the two sides saw Telford come away with a 1-0 victory back in March 2017. A late goal from David Hibbert was the difference at the New Bucks Head on that day.

Ticket prices:

Adults £13

Concessions £10

Juniors (12-16) £5

Under 1s £1

Supporter information:

Altrincham FC are offering an “Early Bird” offer to all supporters, both home and away, between 1pm and 2pm for this game against AFC Telford

There will be Pie, Mash or Chips, Peas and Gravy available for the bargain price of just £4 as well as a “Two pints for £5” at the Community Sports Hall bar.

A wide selection of alternatives are available so just call in and take your pick!

Entry to the ground for this “Early Bird” offer will be via Turnstile 5 at the front of the ground.

We will be showing the National League game between Boreham Wood and Leyton Orient on the big screens and following our game, the Chelsea vs Manchester City game will be broadcast in the Community Sports Hall.

Through The Years by Howard Watts & Mike Garnett – 8th December

1917 Galloway's (Knott Mill) H MAL 6-0
1923 Ellesmere Port Cement A CCL L 0-2
1928 Stockport County Reserves H CSC W 2-1
1934 Runcorn A CCL D 1-1
1951 Witton Albion A CCL W 3-1
1956 Tranmere Rovers Reserves H CCL L 1-6
1962 Ellesmere Port Town H CCL L 0-3
1965 Rochdale A FAC W 3-1
1973 Barrow H NPL W 3-0
1976 Ashton United A NWFL W 3-1
1979 Wealdstone A APL W 4-1
1984 Doncaster Rovers H FAC L 1-3
2001 Darlington H FAC L 1-2
2012 Gainsborough Trinity H BSN L 0-1


Live Commentary on Radio Robins, sponsored by Ashley Mowers Garden Machinery, and the broadcast starts at 2.40pm.

The match commentary sponsor is 'Friends of Jacqui Forster'.

The commentary team is Ian Wilkinson, Brian Flynn & John Edwards.

You can listen to Radio Robins in any of the 5 following ways:

a) Visit our 'MatchCentre' and click the 'Radio Robins' tab in the Telford United match where the Mixlr player is embedded and just press play

b) The Radio Robins website Open the page in any web browser and the broadcast should start automatically.

c) Download and install the Mixlr app on Android devices from the Google Play Store - start the app and search for 'Radio Robins'.

d) Download and install the Mixlr app on Apple devices from the Apple Store - start the app and search for 'Radio Robins'.

e) There is a temporary WIX website at

There will be live text coverage of the game on the Matchcentre, and there will be live updates on our twitter account as we look forward to providing all the latest from The J.Davidson Stadium.

08 Dec 2018 by Admin

Altrincham extended their strong run of form by overcoming a solid Telford outfit in difficult weather and pitch conditions on Saturday afternoon. The 3-1 win means Alty have now picked up 22 points from a possible 24 in their last eight league matches and have moved up to third in the Vanarama National League North.

The key moment of the game came with just 15 minutes left on the clock when Connor Hampson stepped up to curl a stunning free kick past Andy Wycherley in the Telford goal to break the stalemate and put Alty 2-1 ahead.

It was far from plain sailing for Phil Parkinson’s men despite making it eight consecutive home wins in all competitions (excluding the Cheshire Senior Cup).

After the pitch passed an inspection at 11am, there was plenty more rain between then and kick off that left the match in some doubt right up until 3pm. The referee deemed it playable as the rain eased up but conditions were not ideal especially for Alty’s preferred style of play.

It was Telford who marginally made the better start in the opening minutes as the players found it difficult to adapt to the conditions with water sitting on some areas of the pitch. Alty were further disrupted by an injury to in-form full-back Andy White who was forced off and replaced early by Shaun Densmore.

It was Alty however who drew first blood with the first real moment of danger in the game for either team. John Johnston was fed the ball on the halfway line and he made one of his trademark runs as he skipped past a couple of challenges and into the box. Josh Hancock was one of the few players to keep up with Johnston’s pace as the Alty wide played it across to Hancock who neatly slotted home.

The lead did not last long however as Telford he back minutes later. A chipped cross from the right was knocked down at the far post and after something of a goalmouth scramble, the ball fell invitingly to Telford’s topscorer Daniel Udoh who smashed the ball into the net on 24 minutes.

The flurry of action was hardly representative of how the game was playing out though as neither goalkeeper were particularly involved. After being pegged back, Alty had a couple of long-range efforts through Hancock and Hampson, but they failed to test Wycherley.

In truth, the 1-1 scoreline at half-time was about right with neither team particularly excelling in the conditions.

The second half started in relatively tame fashion like the first ended, but John Johnston was proving a threat down the right despite playing on the most affected part of the pitch. He produced the first real opening since the break with a stunning whipped cross which found Jordan Hulme and the Alty striker’s header was well saved by Wycherley.

That signalled a spell in the game where the play was beginning to flow from end-to-end and chances were coming.

Alty had another glorious chance as they continued to gain a foothold in the match as Kallum Mantack went through on goal only to be thwarted once again by Wycherley as Theo Streete tugged the Alty wide man’s shirt.

It was another bright attack that led to the Robins’ second and decisive goal. The play came across from the left and as Shaun Densmore flew forward, he was tripped just outside the box. In a prime position for a left-footed strike, Connor Hampson stepped up to curl a magnificent effort into the far corner giving Wycherley no chance and sending the Alty faithful into raptures.

Telford manager Gavin Cowan made a series of substitutes to try find a way back into the match as former Alty loanee Brendon Daniels was one of the three players to come on. The play was frequently disrupted once again however and Alty were able to manage the game superbly well with the back four and midfield protecting Tony Thompson extremely well.

As Telford became increasingly desperate, Alty grabbed a third to kill any hopes the visitors had of grabbing a late equaliser. It was superb vision by new boy Ash Hemmings who had come off the bench and fed a lovely pass through to an unmarked Hancock who added his second and Alty's third.

Plenty of positives once again for Alty to take in what was a far from easy match. Next week, Alty face Alsager in a friendly on Tuesday night to give playing time to some of the squad players. Then we welcome Stockport in the FA Trophy next Saturday, where the Robins will look to avenge the loss in the FA Cup in October.

And that is full-time! Another win in tough conditions today but Parky's boys' run continues. Tune in later for the match report and we will see next week for the FA Trophy clash with Stockport!
Attendance is confirmed as 895 - a great turnout on a pretty miserable day in terms of weather. Thanks for your support as always.
Four added minutes
Alty kill any hopes Telford had of coming back by adding a third and it was superb vision by new boy Hemmings who fed a lovely pass through to an unmarked Hancock who added his second and Alty's third
89' GOAL - Alty 3-1 Telford - Josh Hancock
87' Max Harrop comes on for John Johnston as Alty look to wind the clock down. The disruptions in play have not helped Telford get any momentum
85' Ceesay comes on for Royle - another pacey forward
80' Brendon Daniels is coming on for James McQuilkin as Telford throw another forward on
77' New man Ash Hemmings comes on for Mantack
A free kick on the edge of the area after Shaun Densmore is brought down. Connor Hampson steps up and curls a sublime left-footed free kick into the far corner to put Alty ahead
76' GOAL - Alty 2-1 Telford - Connor Hampson
71' Barnett comes off for Morgan-Smith
70' The best chance of the second half so far as Kallum Mantack goes through on goal despite having his shirt tugged by Streete, but the goalkeeper smothers his effort. Big chance.
70' Theo Streete goes into the book
62' The game is showing signs of opening up more as it goes from end to end. Connor Hampson races through from Jake Moult's ball over the top but cannot quite bring it down, while Telford have had some moments with a couple of dangerous crosses. No more chances have been fashioned for now, but Alty have a corner......but it co,mes to nothing
57' Refusing to be beaten by the water, JJ whips in a stunning cross right on the head of Jordan Hulme but Wycherley parries it to safety. JJ cannot replicate the same type of quality from the resulting corner. That was the first big chance of the second half.
John Johnston will have to contend with the difficult conditions on the right in this half, but it is not stopping his raids at pace as he has driven down the wing twice with the last one culminating in a dangerous cross over that the Telford keeper claimed.
No changes as the second half gets underway!
And that is the half-time whistle. Not much to separate the two teams but Alty will be looking to kick on in the second half.
One minute added time
Just a couple of minutes before the break now and the game has been something of a stalemate in the last few minutes. Alty are enjoying more of the ball but the game has been littered with fouls.
34’ JJ carries the ball from the right across the pitch and slides the ball across to Connor Hampson whose effort from the edge of the area goes narrowly wide.
Alty respond by applying some pressure as Josh Hancock’s shot from the edge of the box is deflected for a corner. JJ plays the corner short but it comes to nothing.
Telford equalise after a chipped cross from the right is knocked down at the far post and after something of a goalmouth scramble, the ball falls invitingly to Telford topscorer Udoh who smashes into the net
24' GOAL - Alty 1-1 Telford - Daniel Udoh
A ball over the top down the left channel sees Jordan Hulme with just one Telford defender but as he twists and turns, his shot is ultimately blocked.
Alty break the deadlock with the first real moment of danger in the game for either team. JJ is fed the ball on the halfway line and he makes one of his trademark runs, and as he skips past a couple of challenges, he plays in Josh Hancock who neatly slots home
18' GOAL - Alty 1-0 Telford - Josh Hancock
Tony Thompson and the Alty defence as making a more concerted effort to play more down the right to JJ given the difficult conditions on the left.
13' Alty finally make their first real foray forward and earn a corner. Johnston's cross looks to brush a Telford arm but the referee waves away Alty claims
12' White has to come off as Densmore replaces him
Alty down to ten men as Andy White is struggling with a knock and is receiving treatment on the touchline. Shaun Densmore is warming up as White comes back on the pitch after a couple of minutes.
4’ It is Telford who have made the better start in the opening minutes as the players adapt to the difficult conditions. There remains water sitting on the pitch on the usual side which is slowing the ball up at times.
Off we go in the drizzling rain!
Subs: Daniels, Smith, Morgan-Smith, Brown, Ceesay
Telford starting line-up: Wycherley, White, Deeney, McQuilkin, Sutton, Streete, Cowans, Royle, Barnett, Udoh, Knights
The referee finishes his checks on the pitch and gives us a final nod as he walks off the pitch to prepare for the match
Ash Hemmings who joined the club this week on loan from Fylde makes the bench
Subs: Harrop, Hemmings, Langley, Densmore, Wynne
Alty starting line-up: Thompson; White, Jones, Hannigan, Hampson; Moult ©, Richman; Johnston, Hancock, Mantack; Hulme
We'll provide an update shortly when team news is available!
Good afternoon and welcome to matchday live! The game was touch on go due to the deluge of rain in recent days but the pitch passed an inspection at noon, and the groundstaff have continued to work on it as the rain falls this afternoon