Match Centre

FC United of Manchester (A)
15:00 - Saturday 9th February 2019
National League North (Broadhurst Park)
Goals: John Johnston [25'] Andy White [83']
Goals (Opponent): Dale Whitham [77']
Attendance: 2215
Referee: TBC
1 Steven Drench
2 Andy White
3 Connor Hampson
4 Ben Harrison
5 Tom Hannigan
6 Jake Moult (c)
7 John Johnston
8 Sean Williams
9 Joe Piggott
10 Josh Hancock
11 Max Harrop
FC United of Manchester
1 Andrew Fisher
2 Danny Morton
3 Robert Harris
4 Zehn Mohammed
5 Billy Sass-Davies
6 Harry Winter (c)
7 Mike Donohue
8 Dale Whitham
9 Kurt Willoughby
10 Louis Myers
11 Tom Peers
12 Chris Lynch
13 Lloyd Allinson
14 Chris Sharp
15 Josh Wallen
16 Dominic McGiveron
08 Feb 2019 by Andy Phillips

Altrincham make the short trip to FC United of Manchester on Saturday afternoon (3pm) as they look to bounce back from defeat last time out.

It has been two weeks since the Robins lost 3-0 away at Leamington in their last game, so Phil Parkinson's side will be eager to go some way to putting things right at the weekend.

Parkinson has used the fortnight off to bolster his squad in the transfer market, and the quartet of goalkeeper Steven Drench, midfielder Mason Fawns and loanees Yusifu Ceesay and Joe Pigott could all be involved for the first time on Saturday.

FC United have been in poor form themselves and come into the game having lost their last three games and sit second from bottom in the table, so the pressure is on boss Neil Reynolds and his players as they look to cut the gap between themselves and the teams just outside of the relegation zone.

Reynolds replaced player-manager Tom Greaves at Broadhurst Park in October and has the task of keeping the team in the National League North, but the former Bamber Bridge boss will be confident that there are enough games to turn things round before the end of the campaign.

Last time out:

The two clubs met back in August, with FC United coming away with a 2-1 victory at The J.Davidson Stadium on that occasion.

Jordan Hulme gave the Robins the lead just before the hour mark on that day but United managed to turn the game on its head after that.

Goals from Liam Dickinson and Kurt Willoughby saw them come back from behind to earn all three points.

Supporter information:

Those making the short drive to Broadhurst Park should take note of the postcode M40 0FJ. The ground is based on Moston, just off of Moston Lane on Lightbowne Road.

In terms of public transport, the best way to get to the ground is to get the Metrolink from Altrincham Interchange to Piccadilly Gardens, and then walk around the corner to Oldham Street to get the 81 bus to Broadhurst Fields.

This is only around a five-minute walk from the ground and buses run every hour. 

Admission prices:

Adults - £12.00

Concessions - £7.00

Under 18s - £3.00

Through The Years by Howard Watts & Mike Garnett – 9th February

1907 Northwich Victoria H CSC W 5-0
1924 Tranmere Rovers Reserves A CSC L 3-5
1935 Mossley H CCL W 4-1
1938 Winsford United H CSC W 4-0
1952 Stockport County Reserves A CCL L 0-2
1957 Tranmere Rovers Reserves A CCL L 1-5
1963 Frickley Colliery H CCL W 5-0
1976 Wigan Athletic A NPL L 1-4
1981 Worcester City A APLC W 1-0
1985 Northwich Victoria H GL L 1-2
1988 Warrington Town H CSC D 2-2
1993 Kettering Town H GMVC W 3-0
2002 Barrow A ULP D 2-2
2008 Droylsden A BSP W 2-0
2012 Corby Town H BSN W 2-1
2016 Wrexham H VNL D 1-1


Live Commentary on Radio Robins, sponsored by Ashley Mowers Garden Machinery, and the broadcast starts at 2.40pm.

The match commentary sponsor is Kids Disco Parties.

The commentary team is Ian Wilkinson, Mark Simpson & John Edwards

You can listen to Radio Robins in any of the 5 following ways:

a) Visit our 'MatchCentre' and click the 'Radio Robins' tab in the 'FC United' match where the Mixlr player is embedded and just press play

b) The Radio Robins website Open the page in any web browser and the broadcast should start automatically.

c) Download and install the Mixlr app on Android devices from the Google Play Store - start the app and search for 'Radio Robins'.

d) Download and install the Mixlr app on Apple devices from the Apple Store - start the app and search for 'Radio Robins'.

e) There is a temporary WIX website at 

There will be live text coverage of the game on the Matchcentre, and there will be live updates on our twitter account as we look forward to providing all the latest news and updates.

09 Feb 2019 by John Edwards

Injuries to Ben Harrison and Connor Hampson cast a shadow over a welcome and deserved return to winning ways for Altrincham as they recorded their first-ever victory over FC United of Manchester at Broadhurst Park.

The memory of a dispiriting 3-0 defeat at Leamington a fortnight ago was well and truly banished, as John Johnston fired Alty in front and Andy White claimed a winner late on for a 2-1 scoreline that reinforced the Robins' hold on a play-off place in the Vanarama National League North.

It was a victory achieved in the face of unwanted injury disruption, after Hampson was forced off with a damaged hand in the first minute and, more concerningly, Harrison was stretchered off with a recurrence of knee ligament trouble before half-time.

Alty could hardly have wished for a worst start than losing Hampson inside the opening minute, as the left-back went down in pain and indicated he had suffered what may prove to be a repeat of the broken hand that kept him out for several weeks earlier this season.

It was difficult to tell how the injury was sustained, but it was clear he could not continue, as he made his way to the sidelines and gave way to substitute Simon Richman, who slotted in at right-back, with White switching to the left.

Alty looked the more threatening in a fairly low-key first 20 minutes, with the midfield battle being won by the visitors and debutant Joe Piggott looking lively and energetic up front in the absence of the suspended Jordan Hulme.

Clear-cut chances were still in short supply, for all Alty’s pressing, but all that changed in the 26th minute, when Johnston broke the deadlock.

The opportunity arose after Max Harrop burst clear and hit a shot that advancing keeper Andy Fisher stopped with a block that sent the ball spinning out towards Johnston. The winger still had plenty to do, with several FC United bodies barring the way to goal, but an unerring low drive did the trick, as the ball flew past the covering defenders and into the net.

It was a deserved lead, but it was almost surrendered, following debutant keeper Steven Drench’s only error of an otherwise impressive afternoon. The recent signing’s distribution was flawless, other than when a misplaced pass suddenly presented Dale Whitham with a golden chance to equalise.

The FC United forward was clean through on goal, but Drench reacted brilliantly to keep out his shot with save that merited the slice of luck that followed, as Louis Myers and Kurt Willoughby got in each other’s way to spurn the chance of slotting home the resulting loose ball.

Manager Phil Parkinson had to instigate another defensive reshuffle after Harrison rose to win the aerial duel for a corner and crumpled to the turf as he landed. It appeared to be a recurrence of the knee ligament injury that kept him out for so long last year, and there were understandable misgivings over the length of his latest lay-off, as he was helped on to a stretcher and carried off in obvious distress.

It became even more of a test of Alty’s resolve when FC United equalised in the 77th minute, Whitham rising to power a header in off the post from a left-wing cross.

The home side’s momentum, as the decibels behind Drench’s goal soared, was almost palpable, yet Alty not only repelled their quest for a second goal but silenced the FC hordes with what proved a winner by White.

The versatile full-back’s 20-yard drive looked bound for the far corner until taking a change of direction off defender Zehn Mohammed and looping into the opposite side of the net. It was a massive deflection, but keeper Fisher’s frantic full-length dive confirmed the impression that White’s effort was on target, and it should surely go down as the Alty man’s goal, rather than an own goal.

Resilient to the last, Alty held out with relative ease to seal the win, though there was another injury concern in added time, when substitute Nathan Waterston suffered a knee injury in a heavy challenge and was still hobbling after the final whistle.

Full time: FC United of Manchester 1-2 Altrincham FC. A much needed 3 points away from home!
+4 added on.
86" A last ditch tackle by Lynch denies Piggott a one on one opportunity.
White shoots from the edge of the area and his heavily deflected effort goes past Fisher.
82" Sub for Altrincham. Harrop is replaced by Waterson.
78" FC United of Manchester 1-1 Altrincham FC. Dale Witham equalises via a header off the post.
74" A goal mouth scramble ends up with FC United taking a goal kick.
70" Third substitution for FC United, Josh Wallen replaces Harry Winter.
64" Chris Lynch replaces Bob Harris.
57" Johnston attempts a sneaky effort at Fisher's near post but the 'keeper saves.
49" Drench punches clear from a Harris free-kick.
48" Harrop heads straight into the hands of Fisher.
46" Free-kick on the edge of the area for Altrincham. Hancock to take this, straight into the wall.
45" The second half begins.
Sub for FC United, Sharp replaces Myers.
Half time: FC United of Manchester 0-1 Altrincham FC. Johnston 25"
+5 minutes added on.
41" Penalty appeal for FC United waved off as Altrincham break through Johnston but his pass to Harrop sees the linesman flag for offside.
38" More disappointing news for Altrincham as Ben Harrison will be taken off on a stretcher. Shortly after that James Jones replaces Harrison, two substitutions already for Altrincham.
37" A flurry of corners for FC United sees Altrincham under pressure here.
29" Drench saves a shot by Witham and somehow our hosts aren't level here as a few FC players tangle and manage to squander their opportunity.
Harrop attempted to chip Fisher, the rebound falls to Johnston on the edge of the box who hits it hard and low into the bottom right corner, Altrincham lead here.
25" JOHNSTON SCORES! 0-1 to Altrincham.
21" Free kick for Altrincham as Harrop is brought down, Johnston to deliver. Johnston shoots from 30 yards out and his shot is well wide,
7" Winter shoots over from the edge of the box.
3" Early substitution for Altrincham, Hampson is replaced by Richman, it seems the left-back has a problem with his wrist.
1" Harris' free kick is met at the far post by Sass-Davies who hits the side netting.
0" Kick-off!
The teams are out and kick off is on it's way!
Altrincham FC substitutes: 12) Ceesay, 14) Waterson, 15) Jones, 16) Richman, 17) Fawns.
Altrincham FC starting line-up: 1) Drench, 2) White, 3) Hampson, 4) Harrison, 5) Hannigan, 6) Moult (C), 7) Johnston, 8) Williams, 9) Piggott, 10) Hancock, 11) Harrop.
FC United of Manchester substitutes: 12) Lynch, 14) Sharp, 15) Wallen, 16) McGiveron, 13) Allinson.
FC United of Manchester starting line-up: 1) Fisher, 2) Morton, 3) Harris, 4) Mohammed, 5) Sass-Davies, 6) Winter (C), 7) Donohue, 8) Whitham, 9) Willoughby, 10) Myers, 11) Peers.
Hello and welcome to Matchday Live! Today the Robins take a short trip to Boradhurst Park where we will be facing FC United of Manchester in the Vanarama National League North, kick off is at 3pm and team news should be with you shortly.
No gallery available.