30 Oct 2019 by Aiden Beswick

Robins triumphant in Cheshire Football League Memorial Cup


Altrincham FC Reserves were crowned the 2019 Cheshire Football League Memorial Cup winners after a convincing 4-1 victory over Whaley Bridge Atlhletic.
Manager Joel Swift named three first-team players in his starting 11, Toby Mullarkey, Max Harrop, and Luke Wall, while trialist David Fox also started the game. 
Alty took and early lead in the fourth minute. An in-swinging free-kick found the head of James O’Hara who nodded home.
The aftermath of the goal will almost certainly overshadow it - O’Hara fell to the ground and Whaley Bridge’s goalkeeper Joel Fletcher landed on the Altrincham centre-back’s leg. This resulted in O’Hara receiving treatment and being stretchered off. 
The injury forced Swift to make his first substitution of the game - Tom Clarke replaced O’Hara in the 12th minute. 
Altrincham scored their second goal of the game just after the 15-minute mark. Max Harrop coolly converted a free-kick from around 20-yards out, dipping the ball and beating Fletcher to his left. 
The Robins early lead forced Whaley Bridge manager Jamie Kay to make a change - Billy Sutton made way for Jason Broome.
Harrop almost extended Alty’s lead in the 23rd minute, he found space from the middle and fired just wide.
Altrincham were 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go in the first-half, Luke Wall the scorer - the 22-year-old beat several players before slotting the ball past Fletcher in Bridge’s goal. 
Whaley Bridge failed to create much in the first-half, 10 minutes before the half-time, substitute Broome found space and let fly - his effort went wide.
Just four minutes later Broome received the first yellow card of the game for tripping Dontai Gabidon.
The visitors were forced to make their second change of the game on the 42nd minute due to injury - Georgi Whyment came off for Sam Leadbitter.
A minute later, Bridge saw their second booking of the game. Liam Miller went in dangerously on Gabidon, luckily the latter avoided much contact. 
Despite five minutes added time, neither side added to the score line. 

Half-time | Altrincham Reserves 3-0 Whaley Bridge Athletic 0

The second-half saw Altrincham make their second substitution - goalscorer Harrop was replaced by Billy Matthews.
The Robins started the second-half the brighter and added a fourth goal just eight minutes in. Curtis Miller latched onto a pass, dummied his man and shot with his left foot - his effort connected with the inside of the post and went in.
Just after the hour mark Lewis Salmon almost added a fifth goal - his effort rippling the side netting. 
Alty keeper Joel Torrance made a good save with 20 minutes to go. Bridge’s Dan Gilbride shot and Torrance palmed it away for a corner.
The visitors scored from the corner - Mark German’s header connected well and beat Torrance. 
Altrincham made their final change of the game with 15 minutes to go - Callum Graham made ways for Max Pouncey.
The Robins saw out the last minutes comfortably, dominating possession and preventing Bridge from creating anything. 
Whaley Bridge were forced to play the last three minutes with 10 men, Owen Peatfield came off injured. 
The whistle blew and Alty were presented with the Cheshire Football League Memorial Cup.

Full-time | Altrincham Reserves 4-1 Whaley Bridge Athletic 

Altrincham were worthy winners and dominated the game from start to finish.


18th February 2020 • Match Highlights

Blyth Spartans | Extended Match Highlights

15th February 2020 • Around the league

Alty go down a storm as only two games beat the weather!

15th February 2020 • On The Whistle Match Report

On The Whistle | Blyth Spartans 0-3 Altrincham